Someone recently asked me at a small business event, “What are the top 10 web tasks every business owner should know?” and I wanted to share my answers with you.
I’m sure lots of people will have different answers, but these are the ones I think the average business owner really should be able to do without asking for help. If you DO need help, I’d love to share my tips and tricks with you, so I’m launching a new Training Course with the same name as this page — you’ll be able to sign up and get the Early Bird information.
Here are my recommendations for the top 10 web tasks every business owner should know:
If the website owner does split-testing (or testing of any kind), they’ll be able to login and change something as soon as they realise it needs to be changed — and they won’t have to wait until Monday when they have access to staff, or wait until their potentially busy website owner is available.
- Update/Edit Website Text/Typos — You’re the Boss – you should know how to jump onto the website, login and make quick changes whenever you feel like it — without having to call for help.
- Publish a Post or Page — While you’re at it, knowing how to “publish” your edits and changes or an article means you can be on top of price changes, ideas and quick fixes, 24 / 7 & get them online fast.
- Uploading a Photo — Knowing how to add a photo to your web pages and blog posts is now so easy, there’s no excuse. Learn to do this today (make sure photo is web-ready in weight).
- Check for SEO Tags — Ever wondered if there are SEO tags set up on your website already? Knowing this little trick will make you look like an SEO Rock Star 🙂
- Add SEO Tags — If you’ve got SEO settings built-in (and you really must!), then adding a few quick words as SEO tags will be a breeze — you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to do this one.
- Create a New Page/Post — Once a complex task, now a simple one whereby all you need to do is fill in some fields and click a button to publish. Usually the same for both pages and blog posts.
- Add a Form — You will know how important it is to add Forms to your site, for lead capture, download PDFs etc, and you should have one on every page of your site to be most effective.
- Being Social — Having icons & buttons for your social media accounts is a must these days, to reach potential customers in LOTS more places. Make sure you know how to use yours, without getting overwhelmed by Facebook or Twitter etc.
- Use Youtube Videos — Adding a video to Youtube then adding it to your site can now be done in minutes — used as a way to engage web visitors, you need to know how to do this – today.
- Read Web Statistics — If you’re not checking your stats, you’re missing tons of opportunities to build your business! Analytics show how many people visited your site and what they typed to get there.
Some people will possibly disagree and argue over some of my points, but I feel that a website owner who can login to their site and make quick changes and publish them in minutes, is a person who isn’t afraid to learn something new, try something different, and willing to make a change to reflect what’s happening in their business or industry.
So after you read this list, how did you make out? Did you score 10 out of 10? 2 out of 10? Better? Worse? I’d love to hear how you went, and if you think you can improve, I’d love to hear that too. Sharing and making yourself accountable is a sure-fire way to get something done (in my humble opinion!).
I hope you enjoyed this list of the top 10 web tasks every business owner should know.