Wondering how to create a hyperlink?
Whichever website system you use, you’ll need to know how to make links, and luckily the technique is pretty standard.
When you’re editing a web page or a blog post, you’ll be in “editing mode” where you can type text.
This section of your website is often called the “editor”, the “dashboard”, the “back-end” or other phrase.
At the top of the area where you are able to type, you will see a Menu with options displayed as buttons, similar to the image shown below (if you don’t see a Menu, please contact your web designer):
When you’re ready to create a LINK or HYPERLINK, you first need to select or highlight some text (so that the linking buttons become visible), shown below:
After the LINK tool is clicked, a new dialog box opens:
You will need to do the following:
If the link is NOT on your website:
- copy/paste the URL (to avoid typing mistakes) of the destination page (where you want the link to take you to)
- type the TITLE – the Keywords of the page you are linking to
- click the CHECKBOX if the link is NOT on your website (to force the link to open a NEW browser page or window).
If the link IS on your website:
- click “Or link to existing content” to view all the pages on your site
- scroll through to select the page or post, or type in the search box to find it
- when you’re ready, click the ADD LINK button to finalise the hyperlink.
To make changes:
- highlight the hyperlinked text
- click the LINK tool and make your changes
- click the ADD LINK button to save your changes.
I hope this helps to show you how to create a hyperlink 🙂